Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Falling in Love With Jesus

One of the coolest things we've been able to do so far was to go hang out at a place called Stella's House here in Moldova. In this country, orphans are put out of orphanages when they turn 16 and left to take care of themselves. Stella's House was started by a man named Philip Cameron because he saw that girls would be easily trafficked when they came out of the homes, 16 years old and vulnerable. What's more, he saw that these girls had never really had a home, never really been loved or known what's it like to have a family. Stella's House is a beautiful house where 14 girls live together with house parents, and let me tell you, they've got a pretty good home going on there.

Philip was talking with Katie and I as well as two other American girls in their 20s for a while about the ministry and his life and journey with Christ. This man has dedicated his life to multiple ministry projects for Christ, and if you were to sit with this man, you would understand that he has passion and he's all heart. He looked at us and said "Let me tell you something: Fall in love with Jesus! Don't ever do ministry because you feel like you should serve or out of obligation. Fall in love with Jesus and you won't be able to stop." Those words have been ringing in my head for the past few days. What does it look like to really fall in love with Jesus?

I think I fell in love with Jesus in high school. I remember times of sitting in my youth pastor's house singing my heart out and feeling so connected to God. Then I went to college, and I started learning how to explain and "understand" God. Then I learned, as I always did, that if I loved God, I needed to do work for God, so I did. I worked in youth groups, at camps, at homeless shelters, on missions trips, etc. Somewhere in there, it stopped being about loving Jesus and more about just doing what I know I'm supposed to do. Now I sit here in Moldova thinking back and wondering how do I get to a place of just loving Jesus. That is what I want, that is what I desire, and that is how you all can pray for me.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Bobby has been listening to a lot of John Piper sermons and reading a book by him all about Seeking and Savoring Jesus. That idea, seeking and savoring our Lord, is emphasized in Ps. 34:8, “Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.” I have been struck with that concept lately. Seek Jesus… look for him, read your bible so you know him better, serve with love in your heart… And Savor Him, enjoy him, take heart in what he has done for us and with us and through us.

We so easily get distracted from LOVING him by DOING for him. We start doing, doing, doing… but it slowly becomes less about love and more about “ought.” I “ought” to lead this bible study. I “ought” to do coffee with so-and-so. I “ought” to read my Bible. But then it just gets really hard to do all of that “ought” stuff. I begin to think, “Why am I doing this? Is it worth it?” I shut down.

This week and last, the Lord has been showing me that I need to seek and savor Jesus… taste and see that the Lord is good… love in ministry and service. Thanks for adding to the lessons I have been learning. I’ll be praying that you will love Jesus more and more each day.

Blessings
(Becky Stevenson)

bigdaddy said...

hello again son, it sounds like your new friend Philip is very wise. my suggestion is that you follow his advice :) to be perfectly honest, it's hard for me to imagine that you or katie have ever fallen out of love with Jesus. i'm quite certain that will never happen. it's funny how your walk with the Lord is a never ending journey of discovery. you just never arrive at the point you desire to be at. i'm guesing that you know what i mean. someday ... Dad