Thursday, July 24, 2008

Getting Older


So I think I really am getting older. Rarely do I make it through the night without waking up to go to the bathroom these days (at least I'm still waking up to go, that's a good thing I guess), and I keep waking up before my alarm. I'm not setting my alarm for 10am or anything either. All week, my alarm has been set for 7, but I have woken up at 6:15 four days this week.

However, today I am excited to be awake early. I am sitting here thinking about my day, and it's going to be awesome! My best friend in Moldova, Igor, and Andy, the missionary I am working with are going to the caves! I love going to caves and climbing stuff and crawling around on my stomach in tight spots. These are good times for me. I'm also excited that it is supposed to be between 50 and 60 degrees in there. I'm not a huge fan of heat, so this makes me happy. Most of all, I'm excited to spend time with these two guys who have been a great joy in my life this summer. As I leave Moldova on Tuesday, this is my last chance to spend some quality time with them.

Leaving is hard. I remember in college, I felt like I was just built for transition. New situations and relationships were great, and then moving on was not that hard. While I still enjoy the new relationships, it becomes harder to leave them behind. I think part of it is that I forge deeper relationships these days and I know that I will leave a small part of myself with that person. They have filled a vacuum that I had for meaningful relationships this summer, but shortly they will be people who I email occasionally, read their blogs, and maybe never see again. But today, I will just enjoy their company and their friendship as I have throughout the summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. For Heather and I, this will be our third annual move. Of course, we haven't made ANY real relationships here, so moving on will be easy-- but I do know what you mean! I still think it's better to dive in and get to know people than to avoid it and move on without hesitation.
-G

Unknown said...

Hmm - this is easy to relate to for us right now, too! After 10 years in Nashville, it was really tough to leave all our friends and family to move to Chicago, where we know like 4 people. Can't wait for you guys to get back!