Monday, July 07, 2008

A Moldovan Wedding

While we've been here in Moldova, we've made friends with several nationals. This past Saturday, one of them got married, and we were invited to the wedding. I'm friends with Igor (the bride's brother) and Karine (the bride). When we spent time with them last week, I was joking around and told them Katie would sing at their wedding. Those of you who know Katie know that she would never agree to this, so it was just a friendly joke. Katie told them I knew how to sing and play guitar, and it kinda ended there.

When we arrived at the wedding, Igor told me that I was "in the program." I thought he was joking for sure. Then the MC came up to me with the typed up program, and sure enough, there was my name on the list! I couldn't believe it, and Katie thought it was awesome. Well, I pulled a song out of the memory bank, forgot some of the words while I was singing, and over all, it turned out alright.

Then we ate. Boy did we ever eat. They had so much food at this wedding, it was unreal. They kept bringing out more and setting it on our table, and I didn't want to be insensitive, so I kept eating! There were games and jokes that were basically designed to roast the bride and groom, but we didn't understand much of what was going on, since it was in Romanian. It was great fun to celebrate with them and to see the love and joy that filled the room, as joy is not something that we see very often in Moldova. Pray for them, as they are young (she's 19) and just starting out in marriage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE tell me you sang "Regulators" for everyone!
-G

bigdaddy said...

hello Bill and Katie, first off who's crazy enough to get married at 19? obviously a joke :) second: how can you leave us all hanging, what song did you sing ? the wedding sounds like it was a ton of fun. of course the most important thing is that there was a ton of food, but not really. ( 8 days til the Swanny Cup ) wish you could be here for that. Dad